The Fox down in the CBD of Auckland is an excellent place to get great food and sample some of the homebrew. Close to on road parking and local public transport routes.
The parking was just two dollars an hour after six, until ten.
Ooooo we started with a taste test of the beers and cider that’s on tap.
We first tried mini versions of the following;
- Fox Gold – A clean, crisp Pilsner that is straw coloured in appearance with a light aroma of the Motueka hops.
- Fox Ale – Amber in colour. With a slight caramel/roasted grain tasting flavour. The perfect drinking pint
- Fox Cider – Made from New Zealand apples. The Fox cider is more on the dry side with some residual sweetness left over
- Fox Cub – The daughter of the fox gold. Coming in at 2.5%. What she lacks in alcohol, she makes up for with a strong hop aroma from Riwaka and Motueka Hops
- Fox APA – A happy pale ale made using citra (USA) and Rakau hops (NZ)
They were all magnificent, but I have to say my favourite was the Fox cider, it was incredibly dangerous because I could off drank it like apple juice. Lee favourite was the cider too but his close second was the Fox gold, deep and rich note apparently lol.
We then ordered some from; I had the New Zealand lamb with roasted veg. The lamb was perfectly cooked to medium, it had mint sauce over the meat and veg and was delicious. The veg was al dente (cauliflower, broccoli, celery, potato, carrot) and complimented the beautiful lamb.
Lee had the pork and fennel sausages with mash; he had four sausages, and you could taste the fennel, and see it within the meat. High quality, hardly any fat. Which you could tell because the sausage was firm. The mash, both smooth and some chunks left in (very rustic). Nice amount of gravy to mix the mash left after the sausages had gone.
Oh, we were so stuffed, but we couldn’t resist a pudding, so we shared a rhubarb and apple crumble with custard and ice cream. I have to say it didn’t beat my mum’s, but it was tasty.
This meal was superb value for money; you can just tell the quality of the ingredients, and I would totally be happy to eat here again. You won’t be disappointed with your order, trust us.
They have an inside and outside eating space, we came on a rather cold evening so inside right in line with the open fireplaces was a perfect place to sit. For any sports fan, this is a fantastic place a few different large flat screens showing different matches going on. A great place to sit and have a nice cold beer, decent food and to watch the game.
The staff was really helpful and friendly, and I would recommend this place to everyone.